Thursday, August 1, 2013

new shop!!

there's a new shop in the Metro-Pittsburgh area!! In Sewickley!!! It's grand opening is tomorrow!!!!

Why am I so pumped about this? For two reasons - first, there aren't any shops on the west side. Well, not indy shops, anyway, there are big box retailers. Second, when I first moved to the 'burgh four years ago and would drive through Sewickley, I'd always have to remind myself there wasn't a shop there, and there was much grumbling and lamenting involved. Why?

Jennifer Chiaverini.

I can't remember which book it was that she wrote, but one of the novels featured a quilt shop in Sewickley, Pennsylvania. Fictitious, of course. It is incumbent upon me to add that -at the time - not only was there not a shop in Sewickley, but Waterford, PA isn't in the center of the state. It's fiveish miles from the college town where I grew up. I mean it in the nicest way possible when I say batting 1000, dear. [Also, there's no quilt shop in the actual Waterford, but there is one in Cambridge Springs, which isn't far from Waterford - Jennifer, you should come visit if you haven't. It'd be neat. And the area is passable to the Waterford you describe in your books. Actually, we felt right at home when we read the books, except for the proximity to Lake Erie]

So imagine my delight when I learned that there is FINALLY a quilt shop opening on the west side of the city. And it's in Sewickley. It's nothing like the shop as described in the book. This Sunday it will be hosting Pittsburgh's own Modern Quilt Guild's meeting. I'm not actually lying to myself anymore when I say "Keep on driving, there isn't a shop in Sewickley... grumble grumble grumble... There should be a shop in Sewickley... grumble grumble..."

STITCH ... studio and shop. Cheers to the proprietor!

No comments: