Thursday, October 27, 2022

new outfits for old dolls

My mom got me this doll as a 'congratulations, you've left your [toxic] job!' present in July. Girl needs a little love - she came with an outfit, but not noted in the eBay listing was the small detail that she was coming from the home of a smoker. And she reeked. Badly. 

I aired her outside in a protected environment with minimal direct sun exposure. (The wig I left outside, in direct sun, for about three straight days, and it still smelled off. Blech.) The original outfit was stiff when I took it off her and it reeked of cigarette smoke as well. I'm pretty sure that the soak I gave it made the nicotine and/or tar clump up in the hem, and the wash water was the color of sun tea. Immensely disgusting. The original dress wasn't original, probably made in the 1970's or 80's, so new outfit in order. 













I looked at advertisements of outfits for little girls spanning 1900 - 1920ish and made something up. I'm thinking maybe it needs a pinafore? She also needs socks or stockings and I'm not sure where to find those. I may take a stab at doll shoe making. 
 

No comments: