Saturday, November 17, 2012

New Friends Friday, Or, In Which I Met the Cutest Pug Ever

Alas for me, the Ordinary time wasn't going together quite as I had hoped, and so I had to frog it apart to the foundations. There was a fair amount of grumbling and crying on my part, but it had to be done. 

I went on a field trip to Baltimore on Friday to hear a recital, and used some of the downtime time as an opportunity to baste Ordinary together. I had to nix using the stars in the sashing, which mean that I had to cut new sashing, and I ended up using the last of the last of the yellow fabric that I had purchased for this project. No margin of error available now, but I did keep the red points on the outside. Total mad scramble to finish the gutted top before Friday. And then we got to the farm before the recital, and there was Pudge the Pug, and ducks and chickens, and a lovely little garden, and not enough memory on the camera card, and I had to finish basting! [Or as Andy said, squirting hot liquid on it - why would you do such a thing? he said over the phone. Andy's portrait, with his bass, was hanging on the wall, which made me laugh.] 

Thank God this thing is a throw size. I should investigate a liquid basting. I think someone makes it, actually. 


ducks and chickens!!!

smoothing down the top to the batting
I had the use of a lovely little studio/office for my endeavours looking out onto the yard with the ducks and chickenses, and the help and company of a springy little pug named Pudge. Who was, possibly, the cutest little pug ever. Amen.

A little word on Ordinary Time. 

Ordinary time is a liturgical season of the Christian calendar; the English name "ordinary time" translates the Latin term Tempus per annum - literally "time through the year" - and begins roughly on Epiphany Sunday, the first Sunday in January, and pauses on Ash Wednesday [which this year, 2012, was on Feb 22 and for 2013 will be on Feb. 13 (figuring out Ash Wednesday and Easter - and Passover - has something to do with the phases of the moon)] through the Lent and Easter season, and resumes after Pentecost, until Advent and Christmas, when the cycle repeats itself. Roughly; I've left a lot of details out like Christ the King Sunday and Ascension Day, in any case, I'm not a seminarian or a theologian, or someone who is in charge of taking care of these things at church. But I am aware they exist. 

There are certain colors associated with certain times of the church calender [it also depends on whether you are Roman Catholic/Anglican, Byzantine or Russian] and green is associated with Ordinary time. Purple [or dark blue] is associated with Advent, the season before Christmas [different from Christmastide, which is white], as well as the 40 days before Easter. Pentecost and Palm Sunday are red, Good Friday is red as well. As mentioned before, Christmastide is liturgically white, as well as the Easter season [not Lent, which is before Easter] 


This is a little wrinkly, because I had it rolled up for the ride home, but you can see the colors a little better, and it's basted! Huzzah! Now to trim off the excess and get to quilting this puppy. If I'm lucky, I will have it part way done by Christmas. I feel that part way, ie half, is a reasonable goal. 

2 comments:

smkyqtzxtl said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_David
For some reason Zara, I believe, Ordinary Time would not be complete withour the Magen David, the Star of David, the symbol of the Jews to whom we owe our heritage. The Star should be the same blue that Jeanne favors. I saw the blue of the Magen David all over her home yesturday like an invisible shield. Unlike Lex, I do not think with my head but with my senses and with my heart. Find a place for the MAgen David. Love you, mom

smkyqtzxtl said...

Maybe a blue star on one corner, a dove, a cross, a chalice or lamb embroidered or stitched on each corner in a blue outline.