Saturday, March 2, 2013

the ruckous in room 161, or More Read Across America

Remember our door? It won best K - 3 category! The kids were shouting so loud we had no idea who won best 4 - 6!

I was doing some serious nail biting there at the out come of this contest [again, not a competitive bone in my body] but at the same time, I thought it was a little silly to decorate a door with out the kids having some part of it. To clarify, sometimes, walking down the halls, it's obvious that the teacher did everything for the door, and the kids had no input. In other cases, the kid's photographs are on the door, but... does that really count?

For the socks, I folded an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper in half and free-handed a sock on both sides of the fold. The students were instructed to write their name on the front of the sock first, and then decorate it with crayons. They were allowed to have 5 puff-balls, and one piece of sequins [someone did not follow the directions when I walked away from the table - they came in late, and really, what am I going to do at that point, take away recess? it was already glued down. Choose battles wisely.] I traced Fox on a clear transparency and blew it up onto a piece of red paper with an over head projector [remember those!] The grass was free hand cut. We kept the basket up with thumb tacks, and the clothes line was taped up with packing tape.

I really thought the door about teeth and flossing, with a box of floss [!] was going for the win with Thing 1 and Thing 2, and then there was a Truffla Tree door that looked like flossy cotton candy. Good old Fox for the win.

I got a little sad when the kids said, "Oooh! Miss O, next year, let's do 'Horton Hears a Who!' [I was dressed up as Horton for the day, sans trunk] Well, kids. Next year, you will be in second grade, and Miss O may be still looking for a job. But we didn't talk about that. We talked about Diffendoffer Day, and Star-bellied Sneetches, and cupcakes baked in ice cream cones, which are Miss Honey's favorite [and I think mine too - ZERO clean up! so easy to hold! SO MUCH FUN!!!]

No comments: